Tuesday, May 25, 2010

DIY Toothpaste

So this morning I made my own toothpaste for my whole house to use!

It was super easy, cheap, and isn't half bad ;)

I found the recipe in The Big Ass Book of Crafts

-1 cup baking soda
-1 lime, zested
-20-25 drops of peppermint oil (found at Rainbow Grocery, SF)
-1 glass jar

1. Zest an organic lime. You can use a cheese grater if it has small shredders, too. Let the zest sit for at least 2 hours, I let mine sit overnight.
2. Put baking soda, zested lime, and peppermint oil into jar. Shake.
3. Wet your toothbrush and dip it into the mixture. Clean, Fresh, Healthy, Natural Teeth!

So - at first it may seem a little weird dipping a toothbrush into powder, and the taste is different. However, the only way we are going to save this planet is if we start changing our ways. We have to re-think and re-act how we do normal day to day stuff. We have gotten comfortable, and this "green movement" isn't about marketing or being stylish. Its about EVOLVING.... moving forward.... change.


Honestly, the taste might be weird at first, but I actually prefer it. There is not chemical taste, and I don't feel like my mouth is so doused in fluoride that I can touch anything to it for 30 minutes.

Benefits:
-Economically saves you lots of money. All the supplies for over 2 mixtures cost just $10. 1 mixture can last 30 days.
-Ecologically saves the environment from throwing multiple plastic tubes of toothpaste into landfill each month. NO PLASTIC INVOLVED
-Health benefits. It is all natural products, no chemicals!

Give it a shot and let me know what you all think!


No comments:

Post a Comment